Charas worth Rs 29 lakh seized, 1 held
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
Consignment was from Jammu; owner of car manages to flee
The Dongri police on Friday seized charas worth Rs 29 lakh and arrested the driver of the car that it was being transported in. The main accused, however, managed to escape.
Police said the drugs were being transported from Jammu. They swung into action after Additional Commissioner of Police (South Region) Krishna Prakash received a tip-off.
"We laid a trap at the Wadi Bunder junction. At around 6.30 am, we intercepted a Maruti Xylo. The two occupants of the car — the driver and the passenger — gave evasive answers to questions about their destination. We then asked them to get out of the car. The passenger, who owns the car, fled the scene, while the driver, Umer Amar Sheikh (42), was arrested," said Prakash. A search of the car allegedly revealed 17 packets of charas, weighing aroung 26 kg, hidden under the seats.
Sheikh has been booked under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
"The duo started from a hotel in Jammu on Thursday morning. On the way, they halted at Ajmer Sharif. Sheikh was hired to drive the Xylo, a tourist vehicle, by its owner. He claims that he knew nothing about the drugs," Prakash added.