Charas worth Rs 29 lakh seized, 1 held
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Consignment was from Jammu; owner of car manages to flee
The Dongri police on Friday seized charas worth Rs 29 lakh and arrested the driver of the car that it was being transported in. The main accused, however, managed to escape.
Police said the drugs were being transported from Jammu. They swung into action after Additional Commissioner of Police (South Region) Krishna Prakash received a tip-off.
"We laid a trap at the Wadi Bunder junction. At around 6.30 am, we intercepted a Maruti Xylo. The two occupants of the car — the driver and the passenger — gave evasive answers to questions about their destination. We then asked them to get out of the car. The passenger, who owns the car, fled the scene, while the driver, Umer Amar Sheikh (42), was arrested," said Prakash. A search of the car allegedly revealed 17 packets of charas, weighing aroung 26 kg, hidden under the seats.
Sheikh has been booked under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
"The duo started from a hotel in Jammu on Thursday morning. On the way, they halted at Ajmer Sharif. Sheikh was hired to drive the Xylo, a tourist vehicle, by its owner. He claims that he knew nothing about the drugs," Prakash added.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon