Charas worth Rs 29 lakh seized, 1 held
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
Consignment was from Jammu; owner of car manages to flee
The Dongri police on Friday seized charas worth Rs 29 lakh and arrested the driver of the car that it was being transported in. The main accused, however, managed to escape.
Police said the drugs were being transported from Jammu. They swung into action after Additional Commissioner of Police (South Region) Krishna Prakash received a tip-off.
"We laid a trap at the Wadi Bunder junction. At around 6.30 am, we intercepted a Maruti Xylo. The two occupants of the car — the driver and the passenger — gave evasive answers to questions about their destination. We then asked them to get out of the car. The passenger, who owns the car, fled the scene, while the driver, Umer Amar Sheikh (42), was arrested," said Prakash. A search of the car allegedly revealed 17 packets of charas, weighing aroung 26 kg, hidden under the seats.
Sheikh has been booked under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
"The duo started from a hotel in Jammu on Thursday morning. On the way, they halted at Ajmer Sharif. Sheikh was hired to drive the Xylo, a tourist vehicle, by its owner. He claims that he knew nothing about the drugs," Prakash added.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- A Little Bit Of Magic
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed