Chargesheet against 4 TMC men for attack on JU professor
- Yoga Day celebration at Rajpath sets two Guinness World Records
- Yoga not religious; an antidote to violence, conflict: Swaraj at UN
- Death toll climbs to 97 in Mumbai hooch tragedy, 2 women arrested
- 'Peepli Live' co-director, Mahmood Farooqui arrested on rape charges
- Lalit Modi invoked British royal names for UK travel papers
Eight months after a complaint was lodged by Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahapatra, police recently filed a chargesheet naming four Trinamool Congress members who had threatened and assaulted him.
Mahapatra was arrested on April 13 for forwarding an email having a cartoon of CM Mamata Banerjee. He filed a complaint on April 14 alleging he had been assaulted, threatened and forced to write a statement by a group of local goons who reportedly belong to the TMC.
In the chargesheet, the police stated: "The evidences collected so far indicate that there is ample opportunity to submit chargesheet under section 341, 323, 506 and 114 of the IPC against accused Arup Mukherjee, Amit Sardar, S K Mustafa and Nishikanta Ghorai." The charges fall under bailable sections of the IPC.
The police had arrested all four after Mahapatra filed an FIR. They were granted bail.
The police had filed a 96-page chargesheet against Mahapatra and framed charges against him under section 66A(b) and 66A(c) of the IT Act. The West Bengal Human Rights Commission had stated that the state government should initiate disciplinary action against the police officers who arrested Mahapatra.