Charging VAT on Punjab’s pattern mooted
- Yakub Memon's mercy plea rejected, Sena calls it a message to terrorists
- Ready to discuss Sushma in Parliament, but not Raje, Chouhan: Arun Jaitley
- RS deadlock: Govt ready for debate, Oppn says get your ministers to resign first
- SC rejects Centre's review against scrapping quota for Jats
- Curfew in Jamshedpur after clashes over alleged eve teasing, at least 100 arrested
The first meeting of Chandigarh VAT advisory committee was held on Tuesday under the chairmanship of the Excise and Taxation Commissioner Mohammad Shayin. Businessmen and members of the associations put forth their demand to slash VAT on certain consumer goods. Committee member Kamaljit Singh Panchhi raised the issue pertaining to VAT on dhabas in Chandigarh. He said that in Chandigarh, VAT was being levied on quarterly basis whereas in Punjab, it was being charged once depending on the volume of annual turnover. Thus, it was mooted that VAT on dhabas in the UT be charged on Punjab's pattern. Besides the committee members also demanded that there should be no VAT on sweets in Chandigarh, which at present was being levied at 5 per cent.