Chasing robbers, man shot dead, 1 injured
- Elections 2014 Live: Sonia Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal cast their votes in third phase of LS polls
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- Congress not aggressive enough, says Sharad Pawar
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
A group of four robbers shot dead a man, while another was wounded when they tried to foil a robbery in a shop in Kamla Market near Khwaja Basti, Central Delhi, around 11.30 am on Monday.
A 45-year-old hawker, Sultan, was shot in the forehead and he died on the spot, police said. His friend, Nawab Ali, sustained a bullet injury and his condition is said to be stable.
A seven-year-old child, Arshad, was injured in the commotion.
Eyewitnesses said five men entered a shop in building Number P-165 around 11 pm. They asked the shopowner, Shakil, to hand over valuables and cash.
They frisked Shakil and the workers in the shop and fled with Rs 7,000 in cash and two mobile phones. Once the robbers stepped out of the shop, Shakil raised the alarm and shouted for help.
As the fleeing men reached building Number 28 in the area, Sultan and Ali accosted them, police said.
According to police, Ali and Sultan caught one of the robbers and a scuffle broke out between the three. When the others in the group saw that their partner was pinned down by two men, one
of the robbers took out a pistol and fired.
A bullet pierced Sultan's forehead and Ali was shot in the leg. The others also took out pistols and fired in the air, triggering a commotion in the area, police said.
"After getting rid of the two men, the robbers ran and disappeared from the area. They threatened people they passed by not to inform police," an officer said.
A few minutes later, Sultan's brother Rizwan reached the spot and took his brother and Ali to hospital.
Sultan is survived by his wife, three daughters and a son .
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi