Chautala and son convicted, jailed in 1999 teacher hirings scam
- Modi's appeal to the rich: 'Give up subsidised LPG'
- Distrust deepens, AAP countdown begins for easing out Yadav and Prashant Bhushan
- MS Dhoni: Smudged, but colour remains
- Maharashtra: First arrests made under new law banning beef trade
- Ribeiro an icon, I felt sad reading his piece, told the PM: Nitin Gadkari
The prosecution had said that the recruitment process was changed on the orders of CM Chautala. Previously, the staff selection commission was responsible for the recruitment of teachers but Chautala took away its powers and gave it to the primary education department.
"Thus, the conspiracy which started from taking out the vacancies of JBT teachers out of the purview of the staff selection commission vide cabinet decision of September 8, 1999 was fully executed and successfully ended when the successful candidates based on the fake lists were given appointments in October 2000," the court said.
"Hence, a complete chain of events involving all the accused persons in commission of this offence stands proved beyond reasonable doubt," it added.
Initially, 62 people, including several block and district level education department officials and principals of some schools were accused in the case but six among them died during the probe and the trial and one was discharged during the trial.
A crowd of about 100 people had gathered outside the Rohini court complex and shouted slogans against the Congress party, Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda, the CBI and the Delhi Police.
Some of the protesters, who claimed to be family members of the teachers, criticised the court order and said that Chautala had only helped poor people get jobs and should not have been convicted.