Chautala gets bail to undergo heart surgery
- Sahara pleads SC to release Subrata Roy to borrow money for refunding investors
- Kejriwal finds âbakwasâ in Gujarat, faces protests himself
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- Donât want Hooda aide, Bellary man in NDA: Sushma Swaraj
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
Convicted in January for his role in the teachers recruitment scam, former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala was on Tuesday granted six weeks interim bail by the Delhi High Court on medical grounds to undergo a pacemaker implant surgery.
"In view of the facts and circumstances of the case and considering the medical report of the appellant/ applicant, the applicant's sentence shall be suspended for a period of six weeks," said Justice Siddharth Mridul while granting the interim bail.
The court's decision came after a report was filed by a medical board constituted on the order of the HC on May 16.
The board, comprising a doctor from Tihar Jail and a specialist each from AIIMS, RML Hospital and GB Pant Hospital, in its report suggested that Chautala needs a pacemaker implant for his heart.
The court has directed 78-year-old Chautala to furnish a bail bond o Rs 5 lakh with two sureties of like amount, and to get himself admitted to Medanta Medicity within 24 hours of his release on bail to undergo the surgery.
The court has ordered that the INLD chief will not leave the national capital region without prior permission. He has been asked to surrender his passport to the trial court.