China confers top science award on noted scientist Dr C N R Rao
- Narendra Modi is like a nursery student who thinks he is a doctor, a PhD: Salman Khurshid on Gujarat riots 'clean chit'
- 1962 Sino-Indian war report: Govt advocated caution, Army dictated policy that was militarily unsound
- No intention to invade other regions, much less other nations: Putin
- BJP pits V K Singh against Ilmi, Babbar in Rajnathâs Ghaziabad
- Kalmadi out, Azhar, Joshi shift seats
Noted Indian scientist Dr C N R Rao has been conferred with China's top science award for his important contributions in boosting Sino-India scientific cooperation.
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) yesterday gave its 2012 Award for International Scientific Cooperation to three scientists from India, Germany, and Russia.
Rao, 79, founder of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore, shared the 2012 award with Herbert Jaeckle of Germany's Max Planck Society and Russian space physicist G A Zherebtsov.
The awards are given every year by the CAS, which is China's top academic and research institution for natural sciences.
It has so far honoured 17 international scientists for their contributions in Sino-Foreign research cooperation, since the prize was instituted in 2007.
"Rao is devoted to the research of solid-state and structural chemistry. He was awarded for his important contributions in boosting scientific cooperation between China and India, as well as raising the scientific capabilities of
developing countries", state-run Xinhua news agency quoted CAS as saying in a statement.
Rao has won various prestigious awards. He is currently the Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Indian Prime Minister.
German scientist Jaeckle specialised in the fields of molecular developmental biology. He has actively promoted scientific cooperation between China and Germany, CAS said.
He has explored and put into practice approaches thatintegrate a Max Planck management model with the CAS's scientific research system, as well as set up an international team of researchers, it said.
Zherebtsov has actively promoted the construction of a Sino-Russian weather research centre and is currently working to get Russia involved in a CAS space science programme, the CAS said.
- A day after Holi, workers stay away from work
- Deputy Mayor Sharma booked for murder
- Stop Aadhaar data use to probe crime: UIDAI to SC
- Congress will win at least 20 seats in the state: Siddaramaiah
- Have done nothing wrong, need not fear anyone: Geetha Shivrajkumar
- ‘We’ll make progress in south India, open account in Kerala’