China displays air defence arsenal in 'unprecedented openness'
- Supreme Court commutes death penalty of Devinderpal Singh Bhullar to life term
- Former Pak President Pervez Musharraf indicted in treason case
- I-T looking into cheques to M S Dhoni by Amrapali group
- Cracks showing, BCCI chips off Srinivasan-owned India Cements
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi calls Cong manifesto 'dhokhapatra', tells Sonia not to teach patriotism
Eyeing export markets, China has displayed its "entire air defence arsenal", including systems that were not so far shown, at the ongoing Air Show in its Guangdong Province.
"Offering unprecedented openness, the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC) and China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) showcased the FD-2000 and LY-80, export versions of the domestic HQ-9 (Red Flag-9) long range and HQ-16 mid-range Surface to Air Missile (SAM) systems used by the People's Liberation Army," state-run Global Times reported today.
"The LY-80 is excellent in engaging aircraft and missiles flying at all altitudes. Its minimum interception altitude is only 15 metres, while the domestic-use version can hit targets flying even lower," Zong Wenbo, Vice Dean of CASTC's Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology, said.
The naval version of the missile performed very well in drills, he said.
The system also has excellent anti-jamming capability and only needs 12 minutes to be fully deployed, Zong said.
A chief engineer with the CASIC surnamed Xu told the Global Times that the long-range FD-2000 missile system has already attracted some potential buyers but refused to say who they are.
Short-range SAM and point-defence guns would provide the last line of defence if enemy fighters and stand-off munitions successfully penetrate the long-and middle-range SAM shields, the report said.
Chinese military enthusiasts have long complained that China lacks domestic high mobility medium to short-range SAMs.
CASIC's FK-1000 combined missile-gun system effectively ends these worries, the write-up said.
The new system on display at Zhuhai in Guangdong Province has integrated air search radar, fire control radar and missile launch systems into one vehicle, thus greatly enhancing its independent combat capability and survivability, it said.
The layout of the missile resembles the Russian 9M311 missile, which was exported to China in 2005, the report said.
- Nilekani squandered national resources to US firm: Swamy
- Autonomy: CBI chief says don’t view our demand with suspicion
- I want to stop poverty, they want to stop me: Modi
- Kanda gives Hooda’s road show a miss, to form party
- Air Force sends flight data recorder to US for analysis
- 41 letters in 3 yrs fail to move NHAI as accidents continue