China displays air defence arsenal in 'unprecedented openness'
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
"Offering unprecedented openness, the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC) and China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) showcased the FD-2000 and LY-80, export versions of the domestic HQ-9 (Red Flag-9) long range and HQ-16 mid-range Surface to Air Missile (SAM) systems used by the People's Liberation Army," state-run Global Times reported today.
"The LY-80 is excellent in engaging aircraft and missiles flying at all altitudes. Its minimum interception altitude is only 15 metres, while the domestic-use version can hit targets flying even lower," Zong Wenbo, Vice Dean of CASTC's Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology, said.
The naval version of the missile performed very well in drills, he said.
The system also has excellent anti-jamming capability and only needs 12 minutes to be fully deployed, Zong said.
A chief engineer with the CASIC surnamed Xu told the Global Times that the long-range FD-2000 missile system has already attracted some potential buyers but refused to say who they are.
Short-range SAM and point-defence guns would provide the last line of defence if enemy fighters and stand-off munitions successfully penetrate the long-and middle-range SAM shields, the report said.
Chinese military enthusiasts have long complained that China lacks domestic high mobility medium to short-range SAMs.
CASIC's FK-1000 combined missile-gun system effectively ends these worries, the write-up said.
The new system on display at Zhuhai in Guangdong Province has integrated air search radar, fire control radar and missile launch systems into one vehicle, thus greatly enhancing its independent combat capability and survivability, it said.
The layout of the missile resembles the Russian 9M311 missile, which was exported to China in 2005, the report said.
Also at the Air Show, the China South Industries Group Corporation unveiled its 30 millimetre caliber 6 barrel mobile Gatling gun.
According to the manufacturer, it can fire a curtain of bullets to destroy enemy aircraft and cruise missiles at very close range.
However, in the international arms sale market, Chinese defence industries have only achieved limited success in exporting advanced military aviation and air defense weapons.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it