China fires 6 officials after fatal orphanage fire
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Internal battle in BJP out in open: M M Joshi seeks clarity on Varanasi seat
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
A fire that killed six children and one young adult at an illegally run orphanage in central China has prompted the suspensions of six local officials, a county government official said Tuesday.
The deaths Friday in Henan province's Lankao county have spotlighted China's lack of government-run child services. They are often left to private citizens with few resources and no legal authority. The Lankao government earlier acknowledged that it had turned a blind eye to the illegal orphanage, which cared for abandoned children and young adults.
A man from the Lankao government's main office who would give only his surname, Zhao, said Tuesday that six officials were suspended, but gave no other details.
The deputy county governor said earlier that some departments had failed in supervision and should shoulder responsibility.