Chinese home on highway razed, farmer accepts deal
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Gadkari says there's casteism in Bihar DNA then retracts by saying he meant 'political' DNA
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: Another poor start by KKR, lose openers early against DD
Authorities have demolished a five-storey home that stood incongruously in the middle of a new main road and had become the latest symbol of resistance by Chinese homeowners against officials accused of offering unfair compensation.
Xiayangzhang village chief Chen Xuecai said the house was bulldozed Saturday after its owners, duck farmer Luo Baogen and wife, agreed to accept compensatary 260,000 yuan ($41,000).
There was no immediate confirmation as Luo's cell was turned off Saturday.
The couple had been the lone holdouts from a neighborhood that was demolished to make way for the main thoroughfare heading to a newly built railway station on the outskirts of the city of Wenling in Zhejiang province.
The razing comes a week after images of the house were widely circulated online.
Luo, 67, had just completed his house of about 600,000 yuan ($95,000) when the government approached him with their standard offer of 220,000 ($35,000) to move out — which he refused.
It was not clear why Luo accepted the compensation in a meeting with officials Friday afternoon when the same amount of money was offered a week ago.