Chinese legislator looses his post for having multiple wives
- LIVE: Ashutosh taken away for questioning; AAP gets EC notice over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
A legislator from China's northern city of Taiyuan has lost his job for having multiple wives.
Authorities from the city's Xiaodian district said Li Juwen, former director of the Xizan Village Committee, has been suspended from his post as the Xiaodian district's People's Congress deputy.
Li is currently on bail and awaiting trial, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
It is likely that Li will be charged with bigamy and violation of the one-child policy, it said.
It is openly known in the village of Xizan that Li has four wives, as three of his wives, as well as nine of the children he has had with them, are registered as local residents living in his household.
After failing to be re-elected as head of the village committee in 2011, he lost the "privilege" of having his fourth wife and their son registered in his household.
The district government has set up a work committee made up of members of the district's People's Congress, discipline department, politics and law committee, public security department, family planning department and civil affairs department to investigate the case, the reports.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students