Choking the middle
- PM Modi breaks silence on Raghuram Rajan's reappointment, says it shouldn't be of media's interest
- Kejriwal, Nitish witnesses Mamata's oath-taking ceremony at Kolkata's Red Road
- US asks Pakistan to cooperate with India on 26/11 probe
- Even if we could benefit from polarisation, we wouldn’t want to derive such benefits: Rajnath Singh
- Opinion: Muslims and RSS cannot afford to go on hating
But the public has also bought this self-fulfilling construct that the environment is some kind of specialised niche rather than a public goods problem in which we are all implicated. Gulzar once penned these characteristically enigmatic lines about Indian cities: aansoo ki jagah, aata hai dhuan; jeene ki wajah toh koi nahin, marne ka bahana dhoondta hain. If the CSE is right, we are, literally, breathing smoke and don't even need a reason to die.
The writer, president of the Centre for Policy Research, is contributing editor, 'The Indian Express'
- Successful inflation targeting calls for more reform. Targeting Rajan is all too easy.
- Three years of Modi govt could be Indian economy's best since '96
- Pakistan will be the test-tube for the next jihad
- Modi government’s biggest achievement is the curbing of corruption
- It’s Akbar’s turn now and the victim, as always, is history
- Muslims and RSS cannot afford to go on hating