Chouhan for death penalty for rapists
- Political parties can't be under RTI Act: Centre tells Supreme Court
- US stocks plunge in early trade; Dow Jones falls more than 1,000 points
- Black Monday: Sensex crashes 1,624 pts; Rs 7-lakh cr wiped out
- OROP row escalates, ex-serviceman on fast-unto-death shifted to hospital
- UN court to India: Suspend all trials against Italian marines
Recommending capital punishment for rapists, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has suggested various measures to the Justice (retd) J S Verma Committee for stringent legal provisions to curb the growing crimes of rape and violence.
The suggestions were forwarded by Chouhan on Saturday to the committee which was constituted by the Centre in the wake of the recent Delhi gangrape case, official sources said on Sunday.
Besides recommending capital punishment for rapists, Chouhan also recommended that it should also be given in cases where the rape victim commits suicide or contracts HIV/STD diseases within a year of rape.