Chronology of major rail mishaps in last 10 years
- Shooting in US military base leaves four persons dead, 14 injured
- Pakistan: Pervez Musharraf survives assassination bid in Islamabad
- IPL officials, owners and 12 players named in secret report to Supreme Court
- Narendra Modi Pak, US dono ko thhokega: BJP South Delhi candidate Ramesh Bidhuri
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Amethi admin rejects Rahul's residence proof; BJP complains against Azam and Beni
An air-conditioned coach of the Bangalore-Nanded Express train caught fire in the early hours on Saturday in Anantpur district of Andhra Pradesh, killing 26 people and injuring 13 others.
Following is the chronology of major train mishaps in the last 10 years:
May 15, 2003: A burst stove in the Mumbai-Amritsar Golden Temple Express (Frontier Mail) near Ludhiana in Punjab led to a major fire, killing 40 people and injured more than 50.
June 22, 2003: 53 people were killed and 25 others injured in an accident on the Konkan Railway when the engine and three coaches of the Karwar-Mumbai Central Holiday Special train derailed after crossing Vaibhavwadi station in Maharashtra.
July 2, 2003: At least 22 passengers and motorists were killed in a bizarre but ghastly accident in Andhra Pradesh when the engine and two coaches of a train fell off a bridge crushing vehicles passing underneath.
June 16, 2004: Matsyagandha Express skidded off the tracks while crossing a bridge in Maharashtra's Raigarh district, killing 20 people and injuring over 60.
Dec 1, 2006: A portion of a 150-year-old bridge collapsed over a passing train in Bihar's Bhagalpur district, killing 35 and injuring 17.
Dec 14, 2007: Ludhiana-Ferozpur Express rammed a min bus near Ajitwal station killing 16 people.
Aug 1, 2008: A Secunderabad-Kakinada nightly Gautami Express with 360 passengers catches fire near Tadallapusalapalli station in Warangal killing at least 31 passengers.
Jan 25, 2009: Kanpur-Allahabad train rammed a truck near Unchahar station killing 12 people.
Feb 22, 2009: A local passenger-train hit a Bolero in an unmanned level crossing near Barapalli station killing 15 people.
- Panel points out holes in report on trees cut, writes to civic chief
- Man who made hoax calls to Jet Airways acquitted
- Metro not quite a vote puller for people in areas it runs
- Stir ends, BEST postpones new work schedule to June 1
- RBI banks on Bandhan, trusts Kolkata NBFC with rare licence
- Gujarat to Supreme Court: Woman knew of snooping, was thankful