Chronology: SC rejects Bhullar's mercy plea
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Following is the chain of events leading to rejection of Khalistan Liberation Force (KLF) terrorist Devinderpal Singh Bhullar's plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment by the Supreme Court today:
September, 1993: Bhullar triggers a bomb blast in Delhi which killed nine people and injured 25 others, including then Youth Congress president M S Bitta.
December, 1994: Bhullar seeks political asylum in Germany.
January, 1995: Germany rejects Bhullar's asylum plea and deports him to India.
2000: Bhullar's case is sent to trial.
August, 2001: Trial court convicts and sentences Bhullar to death.
March 26, 2002: Supreme Court dismisses Bhullar's plea against his conviction and sentence.
December 17, 2002: Apex court dismisses Bhullar's review petition.
January 14, 2003: Bhullar files mercy petition to the President.
March 12, 2003: SC dismisses Bhullar's curative petition.
May 25, 2011: President Pratibha Patil rejects Bhullar's mercy plea. He, thereafter, moves SC seeking commutation of his death sentence to life term on the ground of delay in rejection of his mercy plea.
April 19, 2012: SC reserves its verdict on Bhullar's plea.
April 12, 2013: SC dismisses Bhullar's plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'