Church of England rejects women bishops
- National Herald case: Supreme Court orders Sonia, Rahul Gandhi to face trial
- 26/11 Mumbai attackers were getting directions from control room in Karachi, admits Headley
- Anti-India acts cannot be tolerated, say Rajnath, Smriti on JNU row
- 26/11 deposition: Sparks fly after Headley repeats Ishrat-LeT link
- Gravitational waves: A leap towards theory of everything
"We need to do a lot of work to persuade the lay people of Synod that there is a way forward on this together.
"The irony of the decision we've just taken is that I believe it is the mind of the church that we have women bishops.
"There's a danger that the national church becomes a bit of a national embarrassment over this."
The Church of England – the mother church of the 85-million-strong worldwide Anglican communion – backed the introduction of women priests 20 years ago.
They now make up one-third of the Church of England's clergy.