CIA operates drone base in Saudi Arabia
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri, says communal harmony will take country forward
- Mobile internet services cut in Jammu after recovery of cows' carcasses
- Volkswagen recalls 389 units of Polo model in India
- Air Force plans for women to fight wars: will they fly in the face of conventional non-combat roles?
- After Mumbai, Ghulam Ali's concert in Pune cancelled following Shiv Sena protest
The CIA conducts lethal drone strikes against al-Qaeda militants inside Yemen from a remote base in Saudi Arabia, including the strike that killed the US-born al-Qaida operative Anwar al-Awlaki.
The location of the base was first disclosed by The New York Times online yesterday night.
The Associated Press first reported the construction of the base in June 2011 but withheld the exact location at the request of senior administration officials.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because portions of the military and CIA missions in Yemen are classified.
Any operation by US military or intelligence officials inside Saudi Arabia is politically and religiously sensitive.