CIA starts weapons delivery to Syrian rebels
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal to file nomination from Varanasi tomorrow; Cong slams Modi for levelling 'cheap' allegations against Gandhi family
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Hate speeches: Petty statements by those claiming to be BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign, says Modi
The CIA has begun delivering weapons to Syrian rebels as part of the US plan to strengthen the opposition armed groups against Assad regime, even as the Obama Administration began talks with Russia to find a diplomatic solution to the current crisis, a media report said on Thursday.
The shipments began streaming into the country over the past two weeks, along with separate deliveries by the State Department of vehicles and other gear, a flow of materials that marks a major escalation of the US role in Syria's civil war, The Washington Post reported.
The arms shipments are limited to light weapons and other munitions that can be tracked, it said adding the US is also shipping new types of nonlethal gear to rebels.
That aid includes vehicles, sophisticated communications equipment and advanced combat medical kits, the daily newspaper reported.
By doing so, US officials hope that this would tilt the balance in favour of the Syrian rebels who are fighting against the Assad regime for more than two years now.
"That is something we are not going to dispute but we are not going to publicly speak to it," a US official told the CNN, according to which the weapons are not American-made but are funded and organised by the CIA.
The report of a long-awaited military aid comes one day after the US President Barack Obama told Americans in a nationally broadcast address that he was deferring taking military action in Syria in order to study a Russian initiative which would see Damascus relinquish its chemical weapons.
Earlier, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said the US has stepped up its assistance to the Syrian rebels.
"I say that this administration, the United States supports the Syrian opposition and has provided stepped-up support to the Syrian opposition, and will continue to do that," he said in response to a question.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready