CIC directs CBI officials to declare assets
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
The Central Information Commission has directed the CBI to declare properties of its officials posted in Delhi and Mumbai and their source of income for the last 10 years.
The transparency panel also directed the CBI to disclose file notings on the appointment of its Director.
The CIC rejected CBI's plea that since it has been brought in the list of organisations exempted from disclosure under transparency law from June 9 all the appeals should now be considered "infructuous".
Information Commissioner Shailesh Gandhi said the notification has not been issued with a retrospective effect, hence the agency shall respond to all the applications filed before June 9.
"The notification was issued on June 9, 2011 and there is no express stipulation whatsoever that the notification shall come into force with effect from any date prior to June 9. Moreover, the notification does not appear to indicate any intention of affecting existing rights and therefore, must be construed as prospective in nature," he said.
The Commission was hearing the petition of Bhilwara-based activist S S Ranawat who had filed the application on August 4, 2010 but was not provided information. His query seeking file notings of Director's appointment did not get any response. With regard to addresses and properties of officers, the CBI cited clause of personal safety.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it