CID publishes photo of ‘missing’ Biman
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Bhattacharjee went missing on June 9, 1992
The CID today published the photograph of Biman Bhattacharjee, a well-known theater artiste and musician who went missing, in several Bengali newspapers.
In the advertisement it was stated that Bhattacharjee went missing on June 9, 1992 from Panditia Road. The CID wanted information on the missing person.
On September 27, Bidhan Bhattacharjee, elder brother of Biman, and All India Legal Aid Forum, a social organisation, requested the Chief Minister to order a fresh inquiry into the disappearance of Bhattacharjee. Bidhan alleged that Congress MP and minister Deepa Dasmunsi was responsible for the disappearance of his brother.
Deepa, prior to her marriage with Priyaranjan Dasmunsi, used to stay at Panditia Road. In 1992, both Deepa and Biman were working in a drama group.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee issued an order in the first week of October to the CID for fresh inquiry in the case.
An official of the CID said that the publication of Bhattacharjee's photograph was part of the ongoing investigation. According to a source in the CID, the agency already talked to a few persons who were closed to Bhattacharjee and collected valuable information on the incident.