City anchor: Girgaum robbery case cracked within 24 hours
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
The V P Road Police claimed on Monday to have arrested the three men who shot at an accountant of a steel shop and his colleague in Girgaum on Saturday and stole Rs 10 lakh.
Vaibhav Jadhav (22) and Jitendra Bothra of Champion Steel on C P Tank Road left the shop on an Activa at 7 pm on Saturday to pay Rs 10 lakh to another trader in Girgaum. They kept the money in a black bag.
Fifteen minutes later, as they stopped at a traffic signal they were surrounded by three men who tried to snatch the bag.
A struggle ensued during which the handle of the bag gave way and Jadhav and Bothra lost balance and fell.
One of the accused then fired at Jadhav and Bothra with a pistol, but missed. A second accused then threatened the two with a knife. He grabbed the bag and began to flee.
A third accused then threw chilli powder into the eyes of Bothra, ensuring there was no chase. Jadhav and Bothra raised an alarm but the robbers disappeared in a crowded lane.
Shortly after the robbery, some constables saw a man running. He was caught and spilled the beans during interrogation.
A pouch containing chilli powder was recovered from the man, later identified as Omprakash Bishnoi (22) of Nagpada. Bishnoi allegedly told police he worked in a steel shop nearby and would see Jadhav transport money every day. He allegedly enlisted Bhajanlal Biradram Bishnoi (22) and Bhajanlal Asuram Bishnoi (21) of Badnor in Rajasthan for the robbery.
The two had recently come to the city and were picked up from the house they shared with Bishnoi in Nagpada.
Police have recovered the money, the knife and the pistol of foreign make allegedly used by the accused.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2