City gears up for VVIPs, President to visit PAU on Nov 27, PM on Dec 8
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
The city is gearing up to accord a warm welcome to VVIPs this winters as they come calling for various events. President Pranab Mukherjee will be here on November 27 to attend the Punjab Agriculture University golden jubilee celebrations.
He will also be laying the foundation stone of an auditorium to be built at Sat Paul Mittal School, owned by the Nehru Sidhant Kender Trust, which had invited Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dixit, for a philanthropy event in Ludhiana, a few days ago.
Confirming the news, Col D B Sharma, director of the school, said: "The President will be coming to our school and lay the foundation stone of the new auditorium. We will also try and get an interaction session arranged for the school children."
The feather to the cap would be added by Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, who will be in the city on December 8 to pull the curtains on PAU's celebrations.
Local Congress leaders are crediting, the number of prominent personalities visiting the city, to MP Manish Tewari. "The appointment city MP, Manish Tewari, as the Information and Broadcasting Minister has made a huge difference. He has played an important part in bringing the Prime Minister and the President to the city," said a district Congress member.
In view of the upcoming high-profile visits, security is being beefed up in the city. City police commissioner, Ishwar Singh, has passed orders enforcing section 144 till December 31.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit