City, Pimpri down shutters, not likely to open today
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
As soon as the news of the death of Shiv Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray spread across the city and Pimpri, shops and commercial establishments closed down and they are likely to remain shut on Sunday when his funeral will take place in Mumbai.
Deputy Commissioner of police (special branch) M B Tambade said, "We have stepped up security in the city. Police teams have been deployed at 89 points in Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad. Two additional companies of State Reserved Police Force have been deployed in the city."
Tambade added, "We are in constant touch with Sena leaders in the city. Through them we have urged Shiv Sainiks and public to maintain law and order. The entire police force will be on high alert for the next couple of days."
Immediately after the death of the Sena leader was announced, shops, restaurants, cinema halls and multiplexes closed down. An owner of a restaurant said, "Many of us closed down on our own. Some closed down after Shiv Sainiks asked them to do so."
Baba Sanap, an owner of a tea stall near Deccan, said, "I did not know Balasaheb had died. Some Sainiks came and asked me to close down because he had passed away. He was a hero for common citizens like me. I had to close down for the sake of what he had done for people like me."
Even in Pimpri-Chinchwad, shops, malls and theatres downed shutters. Some small industrial units too decided to close down by evening. Sena leader Sarang Kamtekar said, "The bandh was spontaneous at several places. In some places, when Sainiks informed about the demise, shop owners shut down voluntarily," he said.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment