City Side: Anandiben husband backs out from joining AAP and Maharashtra plans mega R-Day show
- Police constable killed, three others injured after firing in Delhi court
- DDCA row: In PM Modi’s remark, Opposition sees a hint for Arun Jaitley to quit Cabinet
- Ex-congress leader seeks apology for toppling Karunakaran govt in spy case
- BSF plane crash: A train ride never taken and many unanswered questions
- In gridlock, one thing BJP and Cong agree on: When to send a 16-year-old child to jail
We bring to you a selection of best stories from the Indian Express city editions across the country:
The Delhi government is planning to approach the Supreme Court, seeking permission to add 50,000 more autorickshaws to the fleet of one lakh in the city. According to sources, Transport Minister Saurabh Bhardwaj has already given permission for this proposal and the government is expected to approach the court by the end of this month.
Maftabhai Patel, the estranged husband of Gujarat minister Anandiben Patel, who had on January 3 publicly announced to join AAP, creating ripples in the state BJP, has postponed his decision under family pressure for now. A former college professor, 77-year-old Patel said that after his statements appeared in newspapers, pressure built up on him from his family, including his son and daughter to defer the decision at least for now.
The state government is all set to hoist the country's 'biggest flag' this Republic Day. The venue for the Republic Day celebration was shifted from Shivaji Park to Marine Drive last week. To make it a grand affair, the state government has roped in the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and the Coast Guard who will not only have marching contingents, but also perform air shows.
For the first time in the country, a unique course on law and economics will be introduced from the coming academic year. Pune-based Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE) will launch the post-graduate degree that blends expertise in law and economics.
- COP-21 portend major trade negotiation changes for the WTO
- Mental capacity, not age, should determine if juveniles ought to be tried as adults
- Shani Shingnapur episode shows that the voice of reason can no longer be ignored
- India needs to rebuild relations with Nepal
- Popular stockmarket indices are not an accurate barometer of Indian economy
- Despite their recent notoriety, Section 25 companies are not for profiteering