City top cop links chain-snatching to rising gold price
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Pune Police Commissioner Gulabrao Pol has interestingly linked the rising incidences of chain-snatching with the soaring gold prices. He has also advised women against displaying their jewels while walking on the roads.
Pol was speaking at a function where the recovered stolen goods were returned to the owners in the region. The function was organised at the Jain Shravak Sangh Auditorium and was also attended by ACP Shivaji Shelar, Smita Patil, Senior Police Inspector Mohan Vidhate, Nandkumar Bhosale Patil.
"There has been a rise in the incidences of chain snatching in the city. These crime have increased because the price of gold has increased manifold in recent times. In the old days, the incidences of burglaries were more frequent. In that case the risk factor for the thieves was more. Now, the thieves are focusing more on chain snatching as the risk is less while at the same time the bounty is much more. Most of the time the culprits are from the outside and leave the city soon after the incident," said Pol.
He said to avoid such incidences it was important women remained alert. "The women should keep the safety spray, knives along. They should also avoid making a display of the jewels. If any incident happens they should start shouting so that people around them could help them and nab the culprits," said
He directed cops to take actions against eve-teasers who harass girls at schools and colleges. "Don't show any mercy to eve-teasers. Catch them and send them to lockup. You should also start visiting the schools and colleges and meet the girls students and authorities to advise them on ways of dealing with the menace," said Pol.
Last month, at a function Pol had linked the chain snatching incidences to the marriage season. "Women wear gold ornaments because of the marriage season and the chain snatchers are taking advantage," he had reportedly said. A retired senior police official said that it is wrong to link spurt in chain- snatching incidents to rise of gold prices. "You can't hide your inadequecies by linking the increased crime rate to price of a certain commodity. It is also wrong to say that chain snatching involves lesser amount of risk," said the retired official.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express