City welcomes Festival of Sails
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
Over 250 participants to set sail at Gateway of India and Colaba in a variety of events.
In excess of 250 sailors from all over the country will congregate in the city to participate in the Mumbai Festival of Sails, a seven-day festival of different competitive sailing events that will be organized on the waters off the Gateway of India from December 19 to 25. The Mumbai Festival of Sails is modeled on sailing festivals that are held in all the major waterfront cities, New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, Vancouver, Chicago, Cape Town and Auckland and the aim is to make this an international event in the years to come, with the support of MTDC. on Tuesday.
The Festival will see competition in the Harbour Cup (December 19 to 21), which will involve the 420 and 470 class of boats. Each boat is equipped with three sails and a trapeze crew of two. The INWTC Match Racing Cup will be held on Wednesday and Thursday and will involve the J 24 Class of boat. This is a 7.5 metre long boat and has a crew of 4 to 5 sailor. The match racing cup will take off from the INWTC Colaba and will be a knockout competition between two boats racing against each other. The feature event of the festival will be the Laser Coastal National, where the class of sailboats will be the Laser Radial (for men & women), the 4.7 (for men & women) and the Laser Standard (only men). The Laser is an Olympic Class Dinghy, a single crew sailing boat, measuring 4.2 meters in length with a single sail and modern sail controls. Around 80 participants are expected to compete in the Laser Nationals from December 21 to 25. The final race will be the Away All Sails, on December 25, a fun event open to all forms of sailboats and windsurf boards. Among the fancied names in action will be women's Laser Radial champion Rohini Rau, men's Laser Radial champion B K Rout, boys Laser Radial champion Vir Menon and men's Laser Standard champion S Patra. The Match Racing championship will see Commander R Mahesh in action, a former Asian Games silver medalist, while in the 420 Class it will be Uapamanyu Dutta and Hussain Arsiwala who will be fancied to win.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'