City welcomes new year, revellers mostly peaceful
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The new year eve remained largely peaceful in city under tight security cover. Police Commissioner Nirmal Singh Dhillon was himself present at the Sarabha Nagar market till 1 am to keep the situation in control as the market is the hot spot for partying.
However, two suicides were reported on Tuesday evening. One Amit (33), a resident of Guru Angad Dev Nagar, Jodhewal Basti, ended his life due to financial crisis. In the second case, one Purshottam Lal (40), a resident of Subhash Nagar, committed suicide as he was suffering from kidney ailments and was not able to bear the expenses of treatment. Police handed over the bodies after post mortem to the families, on Wednesday.
Minor cases of hooliganism were reported on the roads but the police were able to tackle them and no case was registered. Sarabha Nagar market area was declared no-traffic zone and there was smooth trrafic flow in the area.