City witnesses 14 incidents of fire
- Defiant Giriraj stands by his remark, says Pakistan trying to stop Narendra Modi from becoming PM
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
- IPL 7 Live Score, RR vs KXIP: Watson departs after scoring scintillating fifty
While the tri-city was celebrating Diwali on November 13, the Fire and Emergency Services personnel were on their toes as there were fourteen incidents of minor and major fire on the day.
One of the major fires broke out in a house in Sector 49 where one room in the house of a resident Rajesh Khanna, was burnt as a curtain near the worship place caught fire.
A Fire and Emergency Services personnel said that after the evening prayer of Diwali, Khanna lit a lamp as a part of the ritual. A curtain near the worship place caught fire that spread into the entire room, burning the furniture, electronics, two cupboards with clothes and cash worth Rs 25,000.
Fire and Emergency Services personnel were informed about the fire at 9.40 pm. The personnel say that the family was celebrating Diwali outside the house when a curtain caught fire leaving 80 per cent of the room in ashes. As soon as the family members called for help, the team sent three water tenders, one from Ramdarbar Fire Station and two from the Fire Station, Sector 32.
It took an hour for the firemen to control the fire. The electronic items destroyed in the fire included a personal computer, an I-pad, two scanners and a music system, while the furniture included a sofa set and two cupboards.
The Fire and Emergency Services personnel are yet to calculate the total loss as they do not know the exact price of the electronics.
There was another incident of fire on the first floor of one of the Shop-cum-Flat's (SCFs) in Sector 24. SCF 91 was set ablaze by a short circuit.
The nearby shopkeepers said that the shop usually remains closed. No one was inside when the fire broke out.