Civic body eyes PPP model to push projects
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal targets BJP over attack on Bharti; Ilmi defends her 'communal Muslim' remark again
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Voting underway for 117 Lok Sabha seats; Mulayam, Anil Ambani among early voters
With the increasing cost of operation and maintenance of existing civic projects and infrastructure, the civic body is looking at Public Private Participation (PPP) model for carrying out development projects in the city.
Of the projects planned for 2013-14, the PMC road department would construct only 2.5 km of new roads and 5 km of concrete road while it proposes to construct 64 km roads through PPP model. "There are budgetary restrictions to take up big development projects. Thus, the PMC would focus on taking up civic projects through PPP and it goes with the policy promoted by the Union government," said Municipal Commissioner Mahesh Pathak.
In the current fiscal, the PMC has been able to construct only 2 kms of new road while carried out reconstruction of 26 kms till December end. "The boundaries of PMC are likely to be extended this year with proposed inclusion of 28 more villages. The basic civic development projects of road construction, water supply and sewage treatment would have to be carried out and the PPP model would only be able to cater to this demand," he said.
The PMC plans to widen railway overbridge at Alankar Theatre and Sancheti Hospital while constructing new railway overbridge at Mundhwa. It also plans to follow international code for road construction by 2014 and take up construction of footpath, cycle track that would be long-lasting.
The administration would also work towards beautification of 19 road junctions, completing flyovers at Dhankawadi, Dhayari and Hadapsar. It aims to lay roads from Shivne to Mhatre bridge and Sangamwadi to Kharadi in phases so that it can be made available for use as soon as possible.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players