Civic body now lodging police complaints against offenders
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
To deal with the problem of recurring encroachments, the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation has now begun sending written complaints to the police against offenders in addition to photography of the spot by the civic body and videography by the police personnel once the written complaint is registered.
When asked if prior attempts of simply removing the encroachment proved futile, Naveen Malhotra, superintendent of the anti-encroachment wing said: "That is right. Although MC was active in getting the encroachments removed daily, the situation was same the very next day. Some repeated offenders were getting impossible to be deal with. So it was decided to send the written complaints to the police against offenders and then police would take further action."
Malhotra, however, clarified that the MC is "not registering FIRs against the offenders, but just written complaints to the police to inform them about the offenders".
The police complaints have been registered against the offenders in areas like BRS Nagar, Jawahar camp, Dandi Swami, Model Town and others. Malhotra added, "Political influences and habit of shopkeepers to allow the illegal carts and other encroachments taking meager amount of Rs 100-200 from rehriwallas are the major roadblocks in making the city encroachment free. This is the major reason this strong action has been taken."
Malhotra added that people never used to admit that they were doing illegal encroachments due to which photography and videography are now done on the spot and kept as a solid proof. "Now first we click the picture of the encroachment and then book the offenders," said Malhotra.
Giving complete credit of the drive to Mayor Harcharan Singh Gohalwaria, Malhotra said, "He is personally visiting the affected areas and getting the encroachments removed. He is the brain behind this police complaint strategy."
MC auction fails to attract a single bidder, cancelled
- BJP Dalit leader mounts pressure on Kejriwal over AAP’s stand on reservation
- PGI gets 10 new glaucoma cases of kids every month
- Balongi: 4 more water samples fail; 3 kids among 4 new patients
- Kejriwal gave ‘misleading information’ about assets, complainant tells court
- Was told not to talk of Jaspal Bhatti… He was my husband, my motivation: Savita
- Delhi EC moots longer polling hours
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress