Civic body to provide insurance to labourers of unorganised sector
- National Herald case: HC dismisses pleas of Sonia, Rahul Gandhi against summons; Cong to move SC
- India maul South Africa by 337 runs at Kotla, seal series 3-0
- Mumbai: One killed in massive slum fire in Kandivili
- Powerful earthquake jolts Tajikistan, tremors felt in Srinagar, NCR
- India-Pakistan talks: Good but not breaking news -- yet
It will seek help of Bandhkam Majdoor Sabha to implement Janshree Bima Yojana
The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has decided to start an insurance cover scheme for labourers in the unorganised sector staying within its limits.
Taking recourse to the Union government's facility, the PMC has proposed to be a part of the Janshree Bima Yojana for labourers of the unorganised sector living in its jurisdiction. "This is the first time that the PMC will come up with an insurance cover for labourers of unorganised sector," said civic labour adviser Shivaji Daundkar.
He said the decision was taken since those in the organised sector are provided with insurance and other facilities by the company or organisations concerned while there is none to make it available for those in unorganised sector. As per the scheme, a kin of a labourer would get Rs 30,000 for natural death and Rs 75,000 for accidental death. Labourers would be able to get a cover of Rs 75,000 if they suffer permanent disability due to any accident and Rs 37,500 for partial disability.
"There is no single organisation that has detailed information about labourers in the unorganised sector. Therefore, it was difficult to identify the beneficiaries. PMC had to work a lot to collect relevant information," Daundkar said, adding, that the PMC will seek help of Bandhkam Majdoor Sabha for implementing the scheme as it has been appointed as the nodal agency by the Union government in the city construction labourers.
"If need be, the PMC would also look for other organisations that have registered labourers of unorganised sector," Daundkar said. The PMC has identified 122 professional works that fall in the urorganised sector which includes bakery, member of musical band, beautician, cycle and bike repair, construction workers at building or road development site, brick kiln, slaughter house, carpenter, catering, courier service, dairy, housework, floor mill, gardening, barber, head loaders, hotel and restaurant worker, scavenging, boot polish.
- Nepal: Constitutional settlements require statesmanship and generosity, which is missing today
- Several problems with Delhi govt's odd-even formula, decision needs to be rethought
- The internet gender gap is widening the global development gap
- Raja-Mandala: Delhi to Rawalpindi
- Margi Sathi helped recreate Kutiyattam and Nangiarkoothu for a new audience
- Chennai Floods: The burden of bravery