Close to border, Darbhanga was Yasin Bhatkal's hunting ground
With most wanted IM man Yasin Bhatkal in NIA custody and admitting his role in bomb blasts across the country, Bihar Police will be relieved. Darbhanga and Madhubani, known for "paan, paag and makhan (betel, cap and butter)" had been fast becoming infamous for growing terror links.
With Bhatkal spending a good time in Darbhanga, in two stints between 2007 and 2010, central intelligence agencies and Bihar Police hinted at his involvement in developing a Bihar module in control of Bhatkal himself. Sources said his contact details had several Bihar numbers.
He reportedly told interrogators he recruited Muslim youths from Bihar but "regretted these youths lacked passion of jehadis"
The man who lived at several places under assumed identities, had made inroads into Bihar after coming in contact with Basopatti (Madhubani) resident Omar Madani, a LeT operative, in 2006. Yasin continued to meet Madani at his Nepal address. Madani had shifted base to Mahua in Nepal before his arrest in August 2009 from Delhi.
During his Darbhanga stay, Bhatkal made important contacts, first as a business networking agent and then as a Unani practitioner.
He had also come to know Rabbani (now dead) of Darbhanga, who helped him build a network of youths in villages.
Bhatkal, who first came to Darbhanga in 2007 and stayed at Laeherisarai as a business networking agent, had been able to influence Muslim youths of the area. While he offered education formula for talented ones, he promised employment to poor ones. "While he trapped a youth like engineer Fasih Mehmood, he also took Ghayur Ahmed Jamali, son of a poor man, in his fold," said an officer about Bhatkal's modus operandi.
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes
- BJP Muslim leaders in state for ‘minority report’
- Short Changes: Stock markets to see cautious trading amid elections, IIP data: Analysts
- BJP men raise voters’ pledge for Modi via mobile
- Minimum balance: Better to maintain than risk high fees
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death