CM invites President to state function
- 9 ordinances, 4 for Rahul: UPA planning emergency laws days before polls are announced
- Willing to say sorry for any mistake, Rajnath Singh tells Muslims
- Top IM men have joined al-Qaeda, fighting in Af-Pak: NIA chargesheet
- Mishap occurs on board Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhuratna, 4 sailors unconscious
- 90,000 per seat: Young India could swing Elections 2014
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has invited President Pranab Mukherjee to be the chief guest at the function to be organised in Lucknow in January to celebrate the completion of 125 years of the state legislature.
He wrote a letter to the President on Sunday requesting any date between January 8 to 10 when the function could be organised.
The CM has also written letters to Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology Kapil Sibal, requesting to issue a special commemorative postal stamp. He has also written to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram to release a special coin on the occasion.
In the letter to President, the CM has written that the UP Legislature had a rich history and legislature members wish to invite him on the occasion. The government has already planned a special sitting of the House on January 8, the day it was constituted in 1887 under the Indian Council Act of 1861. Its first meeting was held in Thornhill Memorial Hall in Allahabad.