CM launches Aadhaar card that will double up as debit card
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday launched a new card for Aadhaar beneficiaries that will be linked to a bank account in the name of the cardholders to help them access social welfare benefits.
Dikshit said Aadhaar beneficiaries who buy the card, named Saral Money, will have a bank account opened in their name automatically, with the card doubling up as a debit card.
"The beneficiary can withdraw their money from any ATM, any Micro ATM using biometric authentication provided by Aadhaar, through a bank branch, or access their money through the Internet and mobile phones," she said.
The government plans to use these bank accounts of beneficiaries to deposit money under its food security programme that is to be launched this month.
Dikshit launched the card in the presence of Unique Identification Authority of India chairman Nandan Nilekani and representatives of five partner banks collaborating in the scheme.
Dikshit said the card would bring banking to people's doorstep.
- Does Masood's 'protective custody' reflect Pak army's new policy?
- Are we, the people of India, being used by terror?
- New political generation wants democratic socialism, and also economic security
- The Union budget needs to incentivise savings to rescue public sector banks.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph