CM Sheila heckled, booed
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
The death of the 23-year-old gangrape victim early on Saturday morning triggered a spot of politicking between the ruling Congress and the Opposition BJP in Delhi. While Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had to beat a hasty retreat from Jantar Mantar where angry protesters booed her away, the BJP appealed to traders and industrialists to shut shop and participate in the last rites of the woman on Sunday.
After expressing her sorrow for the victim and the family on Saturday morning, Dikshit attempted to participate at a mourning at Jantar Mantar where nearly 1,000 people had gathered. Barely 10 metres into the venue, Dikshit was encircled by an angry mob which chanted slogans and booed the CM. After an unsuccessful attempt to reason with the protesters, Dikshit was escorted out of Jantar Mantar, but not before she lit a candle and prayed for the departed soul.
- India may want calibrated strategic escalation, but this genie will not be put back in easily
- Swachh Bharat completes 2 years, but eliminating open defecation is a distant goal
- Pak does not know what it has lost, India doesn’t recognise where it is winning
- Nathuram Godse was a product of the political climate created by the Hindu right wing
- Why there are protests against Gandhi’s statue in Ghana University
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP