CM tells MMRDA to restore Banganga
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has handed over restoration of the Banganga tank to MMRDA following a meeting with Mayor Sunil Prabhu.
The Mayor, who met the Chief Minister and the development authority under him on Monday, said a proposal was presented demanding that restoration of the tank be expedited. "MMRDA has a heritage fund that must be used for MMR area. In the city alone, there are sites such as the Banganga that are of great historical significance and that require immediate attention. MMRDA should make a master plan for restoration of the tank for which it should devote some of its funds," said Prabhu.
He said a plea was also made to CM to see to preservation of listed heritage sites before adding more buildings and structures to the list.
In 2009, Archaeology and Museums Department completed first phase of restoration of the tank. The work was met with stiff opposition and disapproval from Walkeshwar locals who felt the quality of work on the heritage structure was shoddy. They said the original glory of the place was being lost in the modernisation as original stones on the northern and eastern ends were removed and replaced by concrete slabs at a cost of Rs 1.8 crore.
The department was then pulled up by Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil, Minister of State for Housing Sachin Ahir and Collector Nirmal Deshpande. Conservation architect Abha Narain Lambah and archaeologist Arvind Jamkhedkar were then appointed to assist in the restoration. The project since has not seen any major development.
The Banganga tank has a rectangular pool surrounded by steps on all four sides. It has sweet water despite its proximity to the sea and is considered a holy place by many.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'