CN and heard
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
For the DSPs who have joined the UT police department on deputation, the posting is like a paid holiday. One of the DSP's said, "I have been having a good time there is not much to do. It is just like the Delhi police department just a tiny one". The five DSP's are attending seminars, cultural events and opine that with the area of Chandigarh being much less than that of Delhi, the work is relatively less. While on the other hand, the seven DSP's of the UT cardre are tense about the merger of cadres. People in the police department are of the view that "interesting times are awaited".
The nominated councillors who were to have an advisory role in the Municipal Corporation seem to be getting involved in all issues other than "advising". Prior to the elections, the nominated councillors had demanded that their names should be present on the plaques during foundation laying or inauguration of projects as well as ward development fund on lines of that given to the elected councillors. With the results in favour of the Congress due to support of the nominated councillors, they are now asking the party for more representation in the committees that are to be constituted. A section of councillors term it a mockery of democracy when despite winning from their wards, they have to seek support of the nominated to win the Mayoral elections.
Recently after the hike in rail fares, there were protests across the region against the hike. Strangely, the UT Administration imposed section 144 around the residence of union minister of railways Pawan Bansal to prohibit people from protesting near his house. Needless to say the protestors found their way out and staged agitations everywhere else and even got published much to the amusement of authorities.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today