Coal mafia leader arrested from Asansol
- Record Hindu swing in Assam, Cong in decline, states rising
- CBSE Class 12 result declared, Delhi girl tops board
- CBSE results: 83.05 per cent students passed, 2.38 per cent higher than 2015
- Coming to avenge Babri, Kashmir, Gujarat, Muzaffarnagar: ISIS video
- Asked about Trump, Tim Cook says diversity our basic value
Following Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's diktat to take action against coal mafia leaders, Burdwan police on Wednesday night arrested wanted criminal Jaswant Singh alias Kale Singh, from Asansol.
Singh is wanted in several criminal cases related to illegal mining, coal theft, attempt to murder and others.
Singh was produced at the Asansol court on Thursday and was remanded in jail custody for 14 days. Humaun Kabir, SP Burdwan, said Singh would be produced in the court on Friday to take him in the police remand for interrogation.
After the June 2 violence in Asansol, the Chief Minister had instructed Burdwan police for taking urgent action against coal mafias who dominated the area for long. Following this, police in the last few days conducted several raids to arrest the coal mafias and anti-social elements.
- Assembly polls prove voter is focused on development, not dynasty or caste math
- Comrade Sitaram Yechury’s historic blunder
- A weakened opposition is unlikely to force Mamata to improve governance
- Divided opposition and the perception against DMK helped Amma win Tamil Nadu
- Alys Faiz: A Life Of Poetry & Adventure
- Now, BJP will be on test for its nation-building capacity