Coal mafia leader arrested from Asansol
- Myanmar says operation on militants was on Indian side of border
- Somnath Bharti's wife accuses him of domestic violence, DCW issues notice
- Debt-stressed Punjab farmer, who met Rahul Gandhi, commits suicide
- Jitender Tomar did not graduate from our varsity: RML Awadh University
- Railways staggers tatkal booking to ease pressure, upto 50 pc refund on cancellation
Following Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's diktat to take action against coal mafia leaders, Burdwan police on Wednesday night arrested wanted criminal Jaswant Singh alias Kale Singh, from Asansol.
Singh is wanted in several criminal cases related to illegal mining, coal theft, attempt to murder and others.
Singh was produced at the Asansol court on Thursday and was remanded in jail custody for 14 days. Humaun Kabir, SP Burdwan, said Singh would be produced in the court on Friday to take him in the police remand for interrogation.
After the June 2 violence in Asansol, the Chief Minister had instructed Burdwan police for taking urgent action against coal mafias who dominated the area for long. Following this, police in the last few days conducted several raids to arrest the coal mafias and anti-social elements.
Police on Wednesday received the information that Kale Singh who had escaped to Amirtsar was back and had taken shelter a shelter in a hotel at Asansol. The police raided the place last night and arrested Singh.