Coal mafia leader arrested from Asansol
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal targets BJP over attack on Bharti; Ilmi defends her 'communal Muslim' remark again
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Voting underway for 117 Lok Sabha seats; Mulayam, Anil Ambani among early voters
Following Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's diktat to take action against coal mafia leaders, Burdwan police on Wednesday night arrested wanted criminal Jaswant Singh alias Kale Singh, from Asansol.
Singh is wanted in several criminal cases related to illegal mining, coal theft, attempt to murder and others.
Singh was produced at the Asansol court on Thursday and was remanded in jail custody for 14 days. Humaun Kabir, SP Burdwan, said Singh would be produced in the court on Friday to take him in the police remand for interrogation.
After the June 2 violence in Asansol, the Chief Minister had instructed Burdwan police for taking urgent action against coal mafias who dominated the area for long. Following this, police in the last few days conducted several raids to arrest the coal mafias and anti-social elements.
Police on Wednesday received the information that Kale Singh who had escaped to Amirtsar was back and had taken shelter a shelter in a hotel at Asansol. The police raided the place last night and arrested Singh.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players