Coal mafia leader arrested from Asansol
- One year of AAP sarkar: Kejriwal announces cleaner water, better healthcare facilities
- JNU row: Meet the family of Kanhaiya who is a ‘danger to Mother India’
- Great as FM, reforms stopped after Manmohan Singh became PM: Jaitley
- Dial Kejriwal: Delhi Cabinet to take your calls today, 11 am onwards
- Sunanda Pushkar death probe: Tharoor questioned by Delhi Police for 5 hours
Following Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's diktat to take action against coal mafia leaders, Burdwan police on Wednesday night arrested wanted criminal Jaswant Singh alias Kale Singh, from Asansol.
Singh is wanted in several criminal cases related to illegal mining, coal theft, attempt to murder and others.
Singh was produced at the Asansol court on Thursday and was remanded in jail custody for 14 days. Humaun Kabir, SP Burdwan, said Singh would be produced in the court on Friday to take him in the police remand for interrogation.
After the June 2 violence in Asansol, the Chief Minister had instructed Burdwan police for taking urgent action against coal mafias who dominated the area for long. Following this, police in the last few days conducted several raids to arrest the coal mafias and anti-social elements.