CoalMin knocks Cabinetís door over green clearances
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
With delays plaguing 39 coal mining projects, the coal ministry has decided to approach the Cabinet Committee on Investment (CCI) for clearing the hurdles.
The newly-formed CCI is expected to take up these projects in its next meeting likely within a fortnight.
In a note to the CCI on December 27, the coal ministry said while delayed environment clearances may wreak havoc on its production plans, there are other bottlenecks which have hampered operations of its planned power projects entailing an investment of nearly Rs 14,000 crore.
There are 19 projects awaiting clearance from the environment ministry belonging to different subsidiaries of Coal India.
These stranded projects have reserves worth 144 Million Tonne annually and can potentially feed around 35 power turbines on a sustained basis for the next five years.
CIL has set a target of producing 464 MT coal this financial year against a production level of 435 MT during the last one.
Although the system of 'go' and 'no-go' have been dismantled, the CCI is expected to deliberate on the continuing bottlenecks impeding implementation.
The coal ministry says that the ground situation has not changed much and fresh applications for green clearances are being treated on the same parameters.
The ministry said that average pendency of for processing renewal cases in the environment ministry has been more than three years for Stage-I clearance and four years for the next stage.
It has asked for the introduction of e-filing of applications for environment and forest clearances without further delay. The Cabinet committee is likely to examine the suggestion to cut down delays and ensuring transparency from at all levels.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it