Girl gangraped in Delhi bus: Cops ready sketches, govt goes for CCTVs
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
A string of crimes against women has again highlighted the fact that women are not safe in Congress' Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit-led Delhi - the latest being yesterday night's attack on a student.
In a shocking incident, a 23-year-old para-medical student travelling in a bus along with her male friend was allegedly gang-raped by four men inside the moving vehicle and they were thrown out after being brutally assaulted with an iron rod.
The victim, who hails from Uttarakhand and pursues the course in the hill state, is in a critical condition at the Safdarjung Hospital where she was rushed along with her friend late last night after the incident which sparked outrage.
Both the girl and her male friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in south Delhi around 9.45 PM to Palam, were thrashed badly with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted before they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover, police said today.
Police have identified four people, who allegedly raped the girl, and have already prepared sketches of two of them.
Police also released CCTV footage of the suspected bus with an appeal to the public to help them locate the vehicle.
Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police, South, told reporters, that both the girl and boy had "put up a fight" with the men. The bus had tinted glass and was not in regular commercial service.
"When they boarded the bus, there were a few other men as well in the vehicle.... As of now, we can confirm the involvement of four men," she said.
She said police came to know of the incident after they were dumped near Mahipalpur flyover. They were rushed to AIIMS from where the girl was shifted to Safdarjung Hospital.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it