Commercial sex worker gangraped in Surat
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
A 22-year-old commercial sex worker (CSW) was allegedly gang-raped by at least ten persons at Bamroli area of the city, police said today.
Seven out of ten persons allegedly involved in the crime that occurred on December 25 night have been detained, they said.
"The detainees will be formally arrested by this evening after completion of gathering of evidence and paper work", Assistant Commissioner of Police ('F' Division) V V Rathod said.
He said while the detainees are locals, three others who are at large hailed from Odisha.
According to police, the victim, a resident of Variyaavi Bazaar area, struck a deal with two bike-borne accused for a sum of Rs 2000 on Tuesday night.
She told Pandesara police, who are investigating the case, that the duo took her to a slum colony in Bamroli, where two more persons joined them who summoned six of their aides to join them in the crime.
The woman said that an auto rickshaw driver who tried to rescue her from the accused was thrashed by them.
Police said though the 22-year-old initially managed to give her tormentors the slip, she was caught and raped.
After the crime, the woman called up her acquaintance from her locality who shifted her and the auto rickshaw driver to Surat civil hospital and informed the police, Rathod said.
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?