Commonwealth Games scam: 17 fridges, 438 sofas. CWG's untold story
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
Three years after the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, police have registered an FIR against "unknown persons" over the theft of hundreds of pieces of furniture and installations at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium.
Among the goods reported missing are 438 "chair-sofas", 17 large and small refrigerators, 1,265 padded folding chairs, 214 water dispensers, 213 wall clocks and 10 safes. Even five wash basins, installed in the basement, are
The FIR on the "theft" was registered at the IP Estate police station on October 4. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Alok Kumar said: "We are looking into the case. It has been registered by an order of the court. An investigation is on."
The order for the registration of FIR was issued on October 3.
The "theft" was detected in December 2010 — the Games were held in October, and the IGI Stadium was an important venue — when Gurgaon-based Stellar Unimax India Pvt Ltd began auditing the furniture and other equipment supplied to the organising committee, and realised that hundreds of items were missing.
While company representative Bhag Singh Gambhir maintained that the furniture and installations had been supplied to the OC, committee officials claimed some of these items never reached the stadium, sources said.
Contacted by phone on Wednesday, Gambhir declined to comment.
Anything will do
Disappearances from IG Stadium – incomplete list
11 Cardboard pigeon holes
15 Sinks (running water)
10 Crash cart trolleys
41 Office partitions
44 Medical curtains
19 Patio tables with umbrella
230 Door mats
154 Small rubbish bins
15 Barricade tape
600 Caution tape
2 Hand-held golf umbrellas
14 Pedestal fans
- Money talks: ‘Unanimous’ SLC gets on board with ICC revamp plan
- The great Game Folio: Silk routes
- In taxing times, realtors discover ‘fringe’ benefits
- Few takers for UT scholarships, students claim not enough info
- Interim budget focuses on transport but misses out on Metro Rail for UT
- GPP to become history, will merge with BJP next week in Modi’s presence