Concern in LS over ATMs dispensing fake notes
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal on dharna against attack on Bharti; Modi to file nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
Concern was expressed over growing instances of counterfeit notes being dispensed by ATMs, with a member demanding that those running these outlets should be held responsible.
Raising the matter during Zero Hour, RSP member Prashanta K Majumdar said circulation of fake currency in the country had grown to such an extent that counterfeit notes were conveniently finding way to banks and re-circulated through ATMs.
He alleged that banks could be in collusion and those running the ATMs could also be involved.
"The source needs to be checked. When ATMs dispense fake notes, those running them should be held responsible," he said demanding adequate steps by the Finance Ministry to stop the menace.
He said this problem was not only hurting the economy, but also causing trouble for common people, who are unable to distinguish a genuine note from a fake one. Those getting such currency from banks and ATMs were hauled up by police, he said.
Congress member Sajjan Singh Verma raised the issue of the plight of widows in the country. He made a strong plea for providing monthly pension of Rs 500-1,000 by the Centre with a like amount from the state government.
M I Shanavas (Cong) wanted the government to evolve a permanent solution to the growing conflict between man and animals in various parts of the country, with animals increasingly straying into human habitats.
Bishnu Pada Ray (BJP) wanted post-retirement medical benefits for the Union Territory cadre and expressed concern that his plea made in 2010 was still stuck in files.
He accused the Central government of following the practice of divided rule like the British.
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building