Cong adds one more seat in Mizoram, Thanhawla stakes claim to form govt
The Congress' seat tally in the 40-member Mizoram Assembly has gone up to 34 after the party's candidate won a re-poll in Lawngtlai East constituency.
H Zothangliana defeated his MDA rival Vanupa Zathang by a margin of 273 votes. He was leading by 83 votes excluding at one polling station for which re-poll had to be conducted due to an EVM malfunction on counting day.
The re-poll was conducted on Wednesday and 207 people voted. Of these, 198 voted for H Zothangliana.
Meanwhile, Lal Thanhawla, who was elected as leader of the Congress Legislature Party, staked his claim to form government in Mizoram.
Thanhawla will be sworn in for a second consecutive term as the Chief Minister on Saturday. (With PTI inputs)
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi