Cong adds one more seat in Mizoram, Thanhawla stakes claim to form govt
The Congress' seat tally in the 40-member Mizoram Assembly has gone up to 34 after the party's candidate won a re-poll in Lawngtlai East constituency.
H Zothangliana defeated his MDA rival Vanupa Zathang by a margin of 273 votes. He was leading by 83 votes excluding at one polling station for which re-poll had to be conducted due to an EVM malfunction on counting day.
The re-poll was conducted on Wednesday and 207 people voted. Of these, 198 voted for H Zothangliana.
Meanwhile, Lal Thanhawla, who was elected as leader of the Congress Legislature Party, staked his claim to form government in Mizoram.
Thanhawla will be sworn in for a second consecutive term as the Chief Minister on Saturday. (With PTI inputs)
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties