Cong, BJP rush to cash in on Amirul furore
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Political leaders are in a rush to cash in on the furore caused by the death of 33-year-old rape crusader Mir Amirul Islam.
Both the state BJP and state Congress were competing against each other to be the first to take the family members of the victim to the governor.
Sources close to the state BJP president said that he had sought an agreement with the governor two days ago to take Amirul's parents for a meeting. They were supposed to meet the governor yesterday but at the last moment they disagreed on going.
"We were told that West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee president Pradip Bhattacharya intervened and offered to take them to the governor themselves," a source said.
State BJP president Rahul Sinha said Amirul's lawyer had called him and expressed interest in meeting the governor because the government was not doing much for them. "Yes. I met the governor yesterday but I would not like to comment on whether I was supposed to take Amirul's family members with me," he said.
He had submitted a memorandum to the governor regarding the declining law and order situation in the state, mentioning Amirul's case in the letter.
Bhattacharya brushed aside the allegation of hijacking the issue and said he had sought an appointment to meet the governor. "I don't know if the family members were supposed to meet the governor with BJP leaders but I will meet the governor with them in a few days," he said.
Amirul's lawyer Md Naushad Hussain, however, said they would be writing to the governor for an appointment themselves. "Tomorrow we will ourselves write to the governor, chief minister and the chairman of the Human Rights Commission for an appointment so that we get a patient hearing and justice is served without delay," he said.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment
- Edit - Come clean