Cong, GPP welcome SC verdict on Lokayukta
- Modi's appeal to the rich: 'Give up subsidised LPG'
- Distrust deepens, AAP countdown begins for easing out Yadav and Prashant Bhushan
- MS Dhoni: Smudged, but colour remains
- Maharashtra: First arrests made under new law banning beef trade
- Ribeiro an icon, I felt sad reading his piece, told the PM: Nitin Gadkari
State Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party leaders have welcomed the Supreme Court rejecting the curative petition of the Narendra Modi government, seeking a role for the chief minister in the appointment of a Lokayukta.
State Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, in a statement, said the Modi government had moved the SC to block the appointment of Justice(retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta with a view to ensuring the corruption cases of his government did come in public.
Had Justice Mehta been allowed to take his charge in August 2011 when his appointment was made by the Governor, Modi would have made met the same fate as that of former BJP Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa.
Saying that the SC judgement in Lokayukta issue was a victory of the judicial process and the people of Gujarat, leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela said state BJP government should break the lock on the office of the Lokayukta and invite Justice Mehta to take over the charge.
GPP general secretary Gordhan Zadaphia said the Modi government had delayed the appointment of Lokayukta to ensure that the scams of his government remained hidden.