Cong, GPP welcome SC verdict on Lokayukta
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
State Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party leaders have welcomed the Supreme Court rejecting the curative petition of the Narendra Modi government, seeking a role for the chief minister in the appointment of a Lokayukta.
State Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, in a statement, said the Modi government had moved the SC to block the appointment of Justice(retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta with a view to ensuring the corruption cases of his government did come in public.
Had Justice Mehta been allowed to take his charge in August 2011 when his appointment was made by the Governor, Modi would have made met the same fate as that of former BJP Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa.
Saying that the SC judgement in Lokayukta issue was a victory of the judicial process and the people of Gujarat, leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela said state BJP government should break the lock on the office of the Lokayukta and invite Justice Mehta to take over the charge.
GPP general secretary Gordhan Zadaphia said the Modi government had delayed the appointment of Lokayukta to ensure that the scams of his government remained hidden.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today