Cong, GPP welcome SC verdict on Lokayukta
- Vote Supriya or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- India to pay Russia for arms, ammo it sells to Afghanistan
State Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party leaders have welcomed the Supreme Court rejecting the curative petition of the Narendra Modi government, seeking a role for the chief minister in the appointment of a Lokayukta.
State Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, in a statement, said the Modi government had moved the SC to block the appointment of Justice(retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta with a view to ensuring the corruption cases of his government did come in public.
Had Justice Mehta been allowed to take his charge in August 2011 when his appointment was made by the Governor, Modi would have made met the same fate as that of former BJP Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa.
Saying that the SC judgement in Lokayukta issue was a victory of the judicial process and the people of Gujarat, leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela said state BJP government should break the lock on the office of the Lokayukta and invite Justice Mehta to take over the charge.
GPP general secretary Gordhan Zadaphia said the Modi government had delayed the appointment of Lokayukta to ensure that the scams of his government remained hidden.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer