Cong kickstarts membership drive
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
Chandigarh Territorial Congress Committee on Saturday kickstarted its membership drive at the Congress Bhawan, Sector 35. A convention of the office bearers of the party and councillors of the Municipal Corporation was held to inform them about the various schemes started by the government.
The need to increase the number of wards in the city was highlighted. This would take place after the remaining villages that are under the purview of the UT Administration are transferred to the Municipal Corporation.
The proposal had been mooted earlier, but had witnessed opposition among the villagers. It was opined that after the villages that are already with the MC are made into model villages, the villagers under the Administration will agree to transfer.
Union Minister for Railways Pawan Bansal while addressing the gathering said that it is likely that the number of cylinders that are given at subsidized rates is increased to 9 soon. Talking about the cash transfer scheme, he said it was a revolutionary idea. At present, he said, the middleman gets benefited because of the subsidy. The BJP by opposing this scheme is trying to protect the interests of the middlemen, he added.
Talking about FDI in retail, Bansal said that there will be no harm to the interests of the small shopkeepers. There will be efficiency in work that would benefit everyone. He said that the BJP does not want to see the government excel and that is why they are not allowing the government to work. Bansal opined that the BJP despite being in the opposition wants that whatever the party proposed should be followed. This is against democracy.
General Secretary of the Congress Gulchain Singh Charak proposed three resolutions that were passed by party members. The first was to thank UPA chief Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and general secretary of AICC Rahul Gandhi for making local MP Pawan Bansal the Railways Minister. The party resolved to thank the leaders for the transfer of cash subsidy to beneficiaries. The party also condemned the crimes against women stating that the culprits be given exemplary punishment.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it